There is sugar in EVERYTHING. Nearly all packaged or processed food contains added sugar. It is an epidemic. Fresh Tomato Paleo Ketchup saves the day with sweet ketchup goodness without a pile of sugar.
Well tomatoes aren’t in season any more, but ketchup always is. I spent my free time last summer learning how to preserve. I canned: peaches, pears, applesauce, tomatoes, salsa, and ketchup. For well over a month I had a counter covered in tomatoes in different states of ripening, 140 pounds of tomatoes made it’s way into little jars in some way or another. Do you know what all my friends and family are getting for holiday gifts? Can you guess? I’ll give you a hint… it had some sort of fruit in it. Home canning is a gift that was made with: tears (cutting onions), some sweat, a couple burns and scalds, and a whole lot of love. I was inspired and adapted from a fellow Canadian food blogger. Valerie made this recipe a couple of times, and like her, I made my version a couple times before settling on this combination of spices.
There are so many things you can use this ketchup for! And of course feel free to make it your own, substitute balsamic vinegar for an extra tang. Like it spicy? How about a couple chili peppers?
What other twists on the classic ketchup can you think of? Please share them in the comments!
- 5 lbs tomatoes skinned
- 1.5 cup onion diced
- 4 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cayenne
- 2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 3 tsp pink peppercorns
- 3 all spice berries
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Blanch tomatoes and skin.
- Add tomatoes to a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add onions, apple cider vinegar, and all spices.
- Continue to simmer, stirring often.
- Simmer and reduce approx 45 min.
- Remove cinnamon sticks, and blend (immersion blender works great) or strain (press the pulp through a fine sieve removing seeds and large chunks of spices).
- Return to a pot, add salt and honey and simmer again, stirring regularly until desired thickness is reached.
- Spoon into sterilized jars and water bath can 20 min. (Possibly longer depending on your elevation, please check the HFP)