Ohhhhh… it’s here! Are you SO excited? I am… BBQ season!! This paleo BBQ sauce is one you’ll want to have on hand all summer! Long days, warm summers nights, and getting eaten alive by bugs. Well, maybe that last one isn’t totally awesome.
I have been working on my summer body: breaking in new flip-flops, so I am undertaking the arduous task of developing a between-the-toe-callous. It’s like training for my summer feet. Honestly that is the end of my “summer body” preparations. That and the development of new freckles, but I don’t have to train much for that. My skin takes care of it all on its own. I do have to be sun smart, with my fair skin (never in my life have I had a tan) and ginger-ish hair. I love the sun, but have to be careful: 20 minutes of sun without shade or sunscreen will result in a burn. Lobster red is a good color on me thankfully!
I took a week off work and went to visit family, what a great time! My nephews are 7 and almost 4. We had some quality time. I am appreciative that when I am there, I can be fully engaged. We made meals and snacks together – apparently I make vegetables fun! Yay me! We rode bikes, played at the park and in the sandbox, watched movies, played games, went shopping, had smoothies, baked cookies (not paleo cookies, but that’s okay), and spent a day at an amusement park. We also grilled out every night. The BBQ did duty every night roasting veggies and smoking the day’s meat choice. I wish I would have made this paleo BBQ sauce for the family!! Fingers crossed they can make it out to see me later in the summer and we can enjoy it then!
My trip this time around was a little more relaxed than “normal” I suppose. I don’t get to see the family as much as I would like and end up trying to pack in as many fun things as I can. The result is close to tears, completely exhausted family, and those poor kids will often fall asleep on the drive home from the airport drop off. We always have a great time, with laughs and new experiences, but I certainly don’t have to be a maniac about it.
I am excited about this paleo BBQ sauce: tart with a hint of heat on the finish, the only feedback about changing the recipe that I have gotten from those who sampled it was that they “wished there was more of it on the meat.” That is a raving review! And of course it is all real ingredients, and paleo friendly. Fire up the grill and light a citronella candle: summer is here!!
- 3½ cups rhubarb
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 habanero
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1⅔ cups diced tomatoes and liquid
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Combine: rhubarb, garlic, habanero and olive oil in an oven safe dish and roast at 350 F for 35 min or until the rhubarb is soft.
- Add roasted mixture to a heavy bottom pan, add diced tomatoes.
- Add maple syrup water and apple cider vinegar, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (you can also use a food processor, then pour blended mixture into a saucepan).
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add spices: dry mustard, paprika, cinnamon, peppercorns, salt, and coconut aminos.
- Simmer for 40 min or until the consistancy is slightly thicker.
- Place in a lidded jar in the fridge, it won't last long enough to spoil!!