I think it’s funny that people assume that I’m always good about eating well. That’s not the case (I’m typically 100% primal at least 80% of the time – but that other 20% allows me to be Foodie first, Paleo/Primal second). In fact, last month I was really busy with some projects and found that I was eating a lot of fast food. I know. And my stomach is definitely aware of this. You know what it’s like to have great habits and then have a few days of being tired and lazy, and then suddenly you’re spiraling down the toilet? Yup, that is what I’m climbing back out of. My kitchen was out of fresh ingredients, which made the climb back out just that much harder. I didn’t have any quick healthy snacks (thankfully I don’t have any quick unhealthy ones either – probably the reason I kept hitting the fast food).
This recipe. These Paleo Egg Muffins (or “frittata muffins” if you prefer) are helping me correct things. They’re easy to make and super convenient to grab 2-3, heat, and add some Frank’s RedHot Sauce (I know it sounds like I’m advertizing for Frank’s, but unfortunately they have not thrown any money at us – yet. I just love it #iptsoe).
The truth is, all my healthy lifestyle habits seemed to go out the window at the same time. I gave myself a 6-week challenge with S.M.A.R.T. goals re: sleep, food, meditation, organization, and exercises…. The first week didn’t go that well. BUT, instead of getting down about it, I decided to tell people that I was doing a 6-week challenge to make healthy changes to my life and asked: “do you want to join me in the next 6 weeks with your own goals?”
Suddenly I have a team. I’m accountable to not just myself, but also those who are encouraging me, and who I am in turn supporting. And things are going way better. I’m not just affecting change in my own life, but in others’ as well! People power! This is what I’ve always wanted to do: lift people up and improve their lives. That’s a big reason for the existence of www.ThePrimalDesire.com. Holley and I will continue to look for ways to connect with you and improve the world’s health and quality of life. So connect with us via social media (there are links above, below, and to the right…).
For now, I’m working on me and my close group. And I’m being fueled by healthy foods, like Paleo Egg Muffins, which are allowing me to better take on many of my other challenges. Whoop whoop!
Do you have any goals that you’re interested in dedicating time to for the next month and a half? Any habits that you need to correct? Tell us about the things you’re stuck on right now, or your strategies for getting over temporary lapses.
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups cauliflower (shredded/riced/food processed)
- 2-4 green chilies (finely diced)
- ¼ heaping tsp salt
- 1 cup spinach (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- ½ large red or yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- ¼ red onion (chopped)
- ½-1 avocado (cubed)
- 1½ cups broccoli (cut into small flowerettes)
- -4 slices bacon (cut into ¼" squares and cooked soft) *** I HIGHLY recommend you add bacon ***
- -Frank's RedHot Sauce to taste (I put that shhh on everything)
- -banana peppers (cooked inside or placed ontop)
- -mushrooms (cut small)
- -asparagus (chopped ¼")
- -grated cheese of choice (for the lacto-paleo/primal fans - I recommend aged cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a dozen cups in muffin tins (I recommend you use a cupcake liner to prevent eggs from sticking to the pan).
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg whites, salt, and chilies.
- Add in cilantro, spinach, cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, broccoli, avocado, and any other vegetables that you wish to include (if adding additional ingredients, an extra egg may need to be added), and bacon. Stir gently.
- Fill each muffin cup to the top, but no higher.
- Bake for about 25 minutes (egg should be solid and edges should just start to brown).
- Allow to cool at least a couple minutes on a drying rack.
- Top with banana peppers, Franks RedHot Sauce, and/or cheese (if primal/lacto-paleo).
- The most important step: take photos of final product and share them with us and the world on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest!