Holy smokes. It’s May already! Mother’s Day is just around the corner and I will be phoning my parents on Sunday. They have been married for 36 years and every year I phone my mom on Mother’s Day she thanks me and then hands the phone to my dad, claiming she couldn’t have done it (being a mother) without his help. Now that is sharing the credit! It is just how my mom is: generous, sharing, and easily the smartest person I know. I find myself becoming more like her every day; and well, as horrifying as that would have sounded in my teens, now I embrace and look forward to the transformation! I didn’t actually know anything as a teenager, I just thought I knew it all.
I won’t be sending a gift this year, because, I have no CLUE what to get them. I suppose I could show up with some paleo sweet and sour pork, and maybe some spaghetti squash chow mein for dinner, and a good visit. When my grandfather was alive he used to show up out of the blue and announce he was “taking us for a clean bite” which always meant Chinese food. A buffet full of all you can eat: soy, gluten and MSG under red heat lamps, with pots of green tea and those perfect jello squares. With all the preservatives, no wonder I always felt crappy after Grampa’s “clean bite”.
Whatever your plans for Mother’s day, I hope it’s a great one! For all my people who are, or will-be mothers, have an amazing day!! Enjoy this peppy Sean Haynes video. Him and his husband have a handful of fun lip synchs on their Facebook page.
- 1 pound pork cut into cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup paleo ketchup
- ½ tsp coconut aminos
- ¼ fresh pineapple in chunks
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- Place cubed pork in a bowl, add salt, honey, coconut amino, and egg white, mix well to coat and let sit, at least an hour, I left it over night.
- Heat coconut oil in a large, saucepan or wok.
- Sprinkle arrowroot powder over the pork and stir until coated, carefully drop into coconut oil and brown evenly (aprox 10 min), scoop out onto a paper towel and set aside.
- Leave 1 tbsp. coconut oil in the pan and over medium heat stir fry in the celery, pepper, and onion, (all roughly chopped into bite size pieces). until tender crisp, set aside.
- In the large saucepan or wok, combine salt, water, apple cider vinegar, paleo ketchup, honey, coconut amino, and pineapple chunks.
- Bring to a boil and add in pork
- Return to boil, and mix in tapioca starch , stirring so it doesn't clump.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes, and add in celery mixture, return to a boil and stir until well mixed, and everything is coated.