Devi, my sister, makes this Pho for Cancer: Pressure Cooker Bone Broth for her family to drink to strengthen their immune system. Please support her cancer fundraising.
Pho for Cancer
Devi has had a huge impact on my food philosophy and inspires me constantly, both in the kitchen and out. This is the second year that she has been involved in The Ride to Conquer Cancer, a 250 km (155 miles) ride over two days to raise money for cancer research and care.
Last year’s ride had some intense weather (check out the wind in this video):
I encourage you to take a look at her The Ride to Conquer Cancer profile page and we’d love it if you would also support her via donations to the Ride. We’ve all been affected by cancer in one way or another. And please share via social media (links above and below)!
Devi makes bone broth for her family to drink on a regular basis. She loves the flavor of the Pho bone broth, and often adds ingredients to make a normal Pho soup.
- 1-2 yellow/sweet onions
- 1 piece ginger
- ½ - 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp salt
- 1 - 1½ lbs bones - You can use beef, ox tail, or turkey necks, or a combination. Combination is great, and ox tail is my favorite for flavor, but just use whatever you have in your freezer. I use whatever I can fit in the IP. 1-1.5 lbs is probably good.
- maybe 5 stars, or 1 tsp star anise
- about 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorn - just use a tsp for everything...
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cardamom pods
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Chop 1 or 2 onions in half.
- Chop 1 piece of ginger in half lengthwise, so that the good stuff is showing.
- Broil in oven onions and ginger until charred - maybe 10 min or so. Have your fan on so everytime you check your smoke detector doesn't go off.
- While all this is going on, get out your spices. In a non-stick pan, combine all that on low heat until they are fragrant - 3-4 min. Always stir - burnt spices will wreck everything.
- Turn InstantPot onto SAUTE and wait for it to heat up. Add some coconut oil and brown your bones. You will brown these bones on all sides [turn as needed].
- As you are doing this, boil water in kettle - this makes the process faster.
- Once your bones are browned, turn IP off. Add boiled water, onions and ginger, spices and fish sauce, and salt to taste - probably 1-2 Tbsp.
- Fill remainder of Instant Pot with boiled water to max line (or cold water, it'll just take longer).
- [Turn InstantPot to] manual setting for 75 min and use a slow pressure release.
- Strain and put into jars. I like to freeze mine and thaw them as needed.