Looking for an easy and delicious dairy free Coconut yogurt? Look no further! This coconut culture can be adjusted to your desired tartness and texture!
I had a hard time with this recipe, because everyone likes their yogurt a little differently, and there are plenty of recipes out there. I like mine Greek-style: thick, full-fat and tart. And plain.
I like plain yogurt. I know, I’m a weirdo. I embrace it. So that is what this recipe is: full fat, thick and tart coconut yogurt. And using my new love, the Instant Pot.
Raj and I did a paleo challenge in February with one of our fantastic readers: Aimee. I missed cheese and dairy more than anything else. Sadly most commercial coconut yogurt has additives like sugar, rice syrup or corn/soy products, making it not very paleo friendly. Which left me no choice but to make coconut yogurt myself.
You may be asking “What if you don’t have an Instant Pot?”
Well, I feel bad for you, because it is amazing… 7-minute chicken breasts, steamer, slow cooker, yogurt maker. I love my Instant Pot (see my review here and buy one here). I did see a coconut yogurt recipe using just a warm spot or oven light (but I would forget about it).
There are coconut yogurt recipes using probiotic pills, (I wasn’t a fan of the flavor), without gelatin (not thick enough for me) and coconut milk instead of coconut cream (not rich enough for me).
This coconut yogurt how-to can be changed and substituted a million different ways, but this method is for the Greek style rich and tart plain yogurt that is my personal preference.
Watch for some dips and dressing springing from this Instant Pot Coconut Yogurt in the future!
- • 2 cans (1 L) coconut cream (or 1 L of the cream portion of the Aroy-D coconut milk ~about 3 cans worth)
- • 1 package yogurt starter with live cultures *note: this starter contains skim milk powder, so to be absolutely dairy free look for a vegan starter, like this brand*
- • 1 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
- • 3 half pint jars and lids
- • (optional) Whatever yogurt toppings you love
- Put the coconut cream into your Instant Pot liner, press "Yogurt", then "Adjust". This will bring it to a boil.
- When the readout switches to "Yogurt", remove the liner from the pot, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Let the now liquid coconut cream cool, either on the counter or fridge so the temperature drops to below 100F. This is an important step, too hot, and your yogurt won't culture and be tangy, you need the correct temperature so you don't kill the live cultures! Too cold, and they won't grow, so the 100F is important.
- Once the coconut milk is the right temperature, whisk in the starter a little at a time, no lumps. You want it nice and smooth.
- Press the "Yogurt" button and adjust the time, the longer you set the timer, the tangier it will be. 8 hours is just how I like it, I turn it on before bed, it's ready by morning!
- While it is still warm, whisk in the gelatin a little at a time, again you don't want clumps.
- Pour equally into the jars leaving room for the desired toppings, (you can put the topping on the bottom of
course and pour the warm yogurt over top).
- Put on the lid and refrigerate 4-6 hours, it will set up to a thick tangy
geekstyle coconut yogurt.
- Mix well before serving.